Getting Your Roof Replaced? Here’s What You Need To Know And Expect!
By Millstream Construction
When it comes to replacement, the roof is one of the most significant projects around your home. Generally, many homeowners want to know what to expect in roof replacement projects. This knowledge will help you adequately prepare for when your roof needs replacing.
So, what should you expect when it’s time to replace your roof? How often should you replace your home’s roof, and what are some warning signs your roof needs urgent replacement? The article will answer those questions and help you be better prepared for a roof replacement.
How often should you replace your roof?
Many homeowners only know the roof needs replacing after storm damage or a leaky roof. If you don’t keep an eye on the state of your roof, you’ll likely end up surprised when replacement time comes. Regularly inspecting the roof will alert you on the best next steps.
Millstream Construction offers quality roof inspection services in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. You’ll be given the best course of action if any issues are identified. This may be a complete roof replacement or a minor repair job.
Numerous factors determine the duration between roof installation and replacement. For example, if you follow the advice given by your professional roof installers, it will extend your roof’s lifespan. Additionally, maintenance practices like cleaning the roof and removing accumulated debris can improve the quality and durability of the roof.
The climate is a significant factor in determining whether you replace your roof sooner or later. If you live in areas prone to extreme weather conditions, you will need to check on your roof regularly. For example, it’s a good practice to investigate damaged areas on your roof after a storm passes and consult Millstream Construction to help you check on the quality of your roof.
The type of your roof is another key determining factor in how long you have to wait before replacing it. Naturally, some roofs will last longer and require less work than others. Here’s a brief breakdown of how long roofing materials generally last before they need to be replaced:
- Asphalt shingles – 30 years
- Wood shingles – 25 years
- Metallic roofs – 65 years
- Composition shingles – 20 years
- Rubber roofs – 60 years
As previously mentioned, many factors come into play when determining the quality of your roofing. There are many factors that can affect the longevity of a roof so the best approach is to have an annual inspection of your home’s roof. This can ensure a minor issue doesn’t turn into a bigger problem.
Should you replace or repair your roof?
One common question homeowners ask is whether they should replace the roof or perform repairs on any damaged parts. Understandably, replacing the entire roof is a considerable project. Fortunately, a roofing expert can help you determine the right choice. Additionally, there are several signs you can look for to help you make the right decisions.
Leading signs your roof just needs repairs include:
- Natural damage – Weather conditions like storms and wind could damage parts of the roof. If it’s a new roof, professionals can fix the damaged areas.
- Leaks – If you are seeing any discoloration or water leaking from your ceiling, then it’s time for an inspection. After inspection, experts may recommend only fixing the leak as the rest of the roof is okay.
- Improper ventilation – Ventilation is a key part of optimal roof functioning. Many homeowners do not realize the impact that ventilation has on their roofs. Let our experts analyze your home to check for proper ventilation.
The top signs you need to replace the roof include the following;
- Aged roof – If your roof has outlived its lifespan, it’s time to consider installing a new one.
- Missing shingles – This is one of the most common signs you need a professional to inspect the roof, and you’ll likely end up replacing it altogether.
- Saggy roof – If your roof is sagging, the structural integrity has likely been compromised. It needs immediate attention or could lead to untold damage to the house and its inhabitants.
What to Expect in roof replacement projects
What should you expect once you’ve decided to replace your roof completely? The first step is contacting reputable roofing experts near you, like Millstream Construction. The experts will inspect the roof to ascertain if it needs to be replaced.
We will give you an estimate of the roof replacement cost and scope of the project, including materials required and timelines. In case of an emergency, the replacement will start immediately. If it’s not an emergency case, they’ll schedule a favorable time and start the roof replacement project.
Do you need your roof replaced, or are you concerned about certain aspects of the roof? Contact Millstream Construction today and get personalized, professional, comprehensive roofing services in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.